Tuesday, May 4, 2010

To Let Life Unfold...Naturally


Today I can let go and let life unfold...naturally

Doing this means that I no longer have the need to carry the burden of fixing another's pain or problem or orchestrating life events that are not within my control to begin with.

It also means that when I let go I have the opportunity to allow my own mind, emotions and body finally begin to heal as my energy is now focussed on managing the one thing I can truly affect and change; me.

To allow life to be "natural" is to allow it to grow and unfold as it does, without undue influence. Much like a the National Parks....that are preserved, free of the influence, control and construction of mankind.

To "let go" and "let life unfold naturally" is to recognize that my need and efforts at controlling the people, places and things in my life is artificially influencing situations, circumstances and relationships that exist outside of the realm of of what I truly have the ability to control within myself.

And while that may "feel" better at the moment; often the end result is more drama and chaos as others resist my efforts to influence their thoughts, feelings and choices.

Today, I can recognize this behavior as that false sense of power that came with my efforts to claim power when I was truly powerless in the face of a situation or circumstance that was outside of my control - that place where I felt and truly was powerless by the actions of those who were meant to protect and nurture me as a child or in the face of an overwhelming life event that took control out of my hands for a time.

So today - I can let life unfold naturally and that includes acknowledging that perhaps I was once powerless but today I can claim my power - by allowing others to have their own.

Q: How can you take back your true power today by letting life unfold naturally?




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me letting go is not blaming anyone or life in general anymore. It's accepting what is and trusting that I'm being taken where I need to go. I tend to wait until things come my way these days and then I take action. Great post!

Michele said...

"And while that may "feel" better at the moment; often the end result is more drama and chaos as others resist my efforts to influence their thoughts, feelings and choices."

OMG -- was that a hard lessen to learn! I'm still apologizing to my family for this sort of behavior. I can't believe they stuck by me even when I was driving everyone crazy.

And yet, I still have to love and honor that part of myself that was working so hard to take care of me, to keep me safe, and to create organization in my mind out of the chaos of my emotions.

Unknown said...

Good, thought provoking post. I'm certainly a control freak. Maybe it's a little due to the phase I'm in as a parent, with young children. I'm sure, as the years go by, my kids will teach me a lot about what I can't and don't control. Every day I try to pay attention to letting them make choices of their own.

Unknown said...

W ~ "accepting what is"...yes! This was so hard for me to get but boy, the life you describe ie "waiting for things to come my way"...way easier!

Thanks for dropping by!

Unknown said...

Michele ~ Me too! Every day I see how my need to control my life and everyone in it affected others, especially my children. I am so grateful to see how this hurt the ones I loved and be able to change it.

You make an excellent point - to value and respect what we did in order to survive and be ok, not as a negative but as a tool that was helpful then but now has outgrown its usefulness as we grow in our healing.

I so appreciate your comment and wisdom!

Unknown said...

Stacy - It's great to hear how you encourage and support your kids this way!

Learning to let go was a scary proposition for me; it took time but has become easier...and I"m so glad for that!

So good to see you today, Stacy!

MontessoriMom said...

Thank you- I have enjoyed your blog this morning. It's awesome to see inspiration- a good way to start my day!